Welcome to Real Life Style Blog!

Can changing your wardrobe really change your life? Of course it can! Imagine how light and powerful you would feel if 100% of the clothes in your closet were the right clothes for you right now. Imagine that your wardrobe reflected both your personality and your personal style, while suiting your lifestyle. That, ladies and gentlemen, is called Real Life Style. Want to be able to look and feel put together in just 2 minutes a day? You can.

Click here for more information about how you can work with Lani and click here to schedule your free consultation. Because fashion should be an outlet for fun, not frustration!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Make Up Artist Favorites (and Mine)

This week I’m super excited to bring you some of my favorite beauty products. My obsession with (and spending obscene amounts of money towards) makeup began when I met Alison Valk Woolworth, NYC makeup artist extraordinaire. I'm not kidding when I say that for at least a year after I worked with her, I would repeat the mantra, “Alison Woolworth changed my life”, everytime someone told me that I looked good. I’ve asked her to comment on some of my current obsessions as well as add her own. Enjoy! Oh and if you are interested in working with her one on one, scroll to the bottom for more information and contact one of us to get on her DC waiting list! 

Youngblood Mineral Primer, $41.00

Lani says: My favorite of all the products recommended by Alison. Think Primer is just one extra step that costs more time and money than it is worth? Au contraire, my friend! This Youngblood Primer not only seems to fill in ALL of my pores, making my foundation about 300% better looking, but it also makes my makeup last for about 12 hours. 

Alison says: This is my favorite primer because it can be used on all skin types and it is packed with vitamins. This provides the perfect base, locks in your moisturizer, and smoothes away fine lines and skin imperfections while protecting your skin from environmental hazards. Buy and learn more at ybskin.com.

Clinique Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Powder,  $32.50

Lani says: I first pulled this out of my sister’s makeup bag when we were on vacation together and I hadn’t brought any loose powder. Needless to say, it came home in my makeup bag.  I don’t have redness issues but I do have a yellow/olive tint to my skin and this blends in perfectly. Of course the idea of wearing a more yellow powder was first mentioned to me by Alison!

Benefit Erase Paste, $26.00

Lani says: My sister should really never let me into her makeup bag! I pulled this one out when I was over at her place one day after another baby filled, sleepless night. She took one look at how it had literally “erased” my circles and promptly traded it to me for a Chanel Lip Gloss from my makeup bag. 

Alison says: This is a great creamy concealer that truly helps combat under eye darkness.

Dermablend Professional Cover Creme with SPF 30, $35.00

Lani: My friend Leah introduced me to this concealer years ago. I actually layer it underneath the Erase Paste as my everyday concealer routine. When you have circles like mine, you need a routine! And a concealer that is meant to cover scarring and hyper pigmentation, not just dark circles.  The SPF 30 is a great bonus! Also, it lasts so long you’ll have to replace it before you can use the whole jar.

Revlon Super Lustrous Teak Rose Lipstick, $8.00

Lani says: Do you have that one lipstick color that EVERYONE asks you about EVERY time you wear it? This is mine. The best thing about this color? It looks good on EVERYONE, pale, dark and in-between. It also layers well with lip gloss. Try it, you’ll see! This is also a great stand in for the Coco Rouge Lipstick from Chanel. 

Lash Ink from Hardy Candy, $7.00

Lani says: In the old pre-baby days, I would get my eyelashes dyed at the Red Door Spa. Now that I’m lucky to make it in there for a pedicure every 2 months, and do not have the energy to take off my mascara every night, I use this inexpensive miracle to get the job done.  The mascara slowly wears off over a few days so apply one day, just curl your lashes the second, and reapply the third. And you pretty much never have to take it off! My Body Shop eye makeup remover, which I love, is feeling awfully neglected. 

Mary-Lou Manizer from the Balm Cosmetics, $21.00

Lani: One of my many Alison Woolworth finds. Think you don’t have time for things like highlighter and bronzer? This is only because she’s never shown you how to do it quickly and easily, so you don’t know HOW GOOD YOU COULD LOOK!!!!

Gerlan Nailcare, $21.00

Lani says: As someone who had had soft, peeling, weirdly shaped nails her whole life, I LOVED the long, strong nails of pregnancy. In fact, I got so used to them that I thought I’d never lose them. Unfortunately, all those naysayers were correct. 3 months after Max’s birth, the nails were gone (and my hair started falling out), within a one week period. My old trick of keeping my nails polished didn’t seem safe with Max teething on my fingers. I found a new trick with this obscure German nail product they gave me at one of my bimonthly Red Door pedicures. All I have to say is, IT WORKS, and IT SMELLS LIKE FLOWERS. You rub it into your nails once a day et voila, nails without toxic chemicals.

Eye M Glam Highlighter from Giella, $35.00

Lani says: I’ve saved the best for last. I know I said that the Youngblood Mineral Primer was the best thing that Alison introduced me to, but it might actually be this bronzing highlighter from Giella. This isn’t just face powder, this is “I get stopped on the street and asked what I’m wearing/Makes me feel like a Celebrity/12 hours of sleep last night/I just got back from Turks & Caicos” kind of face magic. Or as my friend Marisol (Latina and with completely different coloring from me!) put it, “This is the blush I’ve been looking for my whole life.” Now if only they would make it in compact form, I would be able to travel with it!

Alison says: I tell ALL of my clients this is a must-own! This amazing bronzing highlighter gives an airbrushed glow to cheeks and eyes. Kim K's make-up artist developed this with my colleague, Giella, and there is a reason Kim’s skin always looks so dewy, supple and gorgeous! Email awoolworth@gmail.com or call Alison Valk Woolworth 646.239.9090 to order $35 + shipping

More of Alison's Favorites I Can't Wait to Try

Tinted Moisturizer by Jouer, $38.00

Alison says: This spf of 20, oil-free, dewy moisturizer is amazing. Use alone or mix in with your current liquid foundation. And the price is right -- $38! Everyone sitting in the sun will love this product – it is perfect for summer. I became such an addict that I wear it year round.


Tarte's multipleEYE™Lash Enhancing Liquid Eyeliner, $22.00

Alison says: The easiest way to have a sexy thin controlled liquid eyeliner. This fine tip marker allows you to create an easy Hollywood cat-eye. My newest purchase that I can not live without!


Alison says: These strip lashes are natural, but flirty. The self-adhesive makes for an EASY self-application. For those of you who hate lashes because of the mess that glue makes, these are a must buy try!


Alison says: The best, cheapest, and easiest lip exfoliator is to mix Carmex and sugar in your palm. Rub this mizture on your lips at night. Remove and then apply straight Carmex before bed. Your lips will fell like butter in the morning!


Alison says: Personally I use Mally's Cancellation Conditioning Concealer (in Light) because I have super oily skin and htis is smudge proof. It does not budge once applied -- it dries and stays throughout the day!


Alison says: For those of you who live in the NYC area, go to Henri Bendel to get your brows perfected and threaded. The two sisters who run this operation are geniuses. They transform faces by creating the perfect frame for each individual's eye! Call 212-904-7979 to book your appointment!

Alison Valk Woolworth is a trained make-up artist, licensed esthetician and skilled custom cosmetic mixologist who works in the New York City area to help women enhance their own natural beauty with make-up and skincare suggestions, applications, and lessons. Alison suggests the appropriate products for each individual’s needs and esthetic preferences. She has a mixing studio in her Upper East Side apartment where she creates custom lipsticks, glosses, nail polishes, foundation, lip and eye pencils, powders, eye shadows, and cheek tints. Check out her portfolio at http://awoolworth.carbonmade.com/.





2 comments:

  1. Lani I obviously LOVED this blog considering my obsession with beauty products. I can't wait to look into some of them and give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the post because it contains such a fine information on makeup artist that is easy to understood for me.
    mineral make up
    pedicure

    ReplyDelete